Try this fun DIY craft with your kids before the opening ceremonies so you can play along when the torch is brought into the stadium!
You can learn more about the history of the Olympic torch, and see torches from past Olympics here. If you’re doing this craft before the opening ceremony, you can see where the torch is, where it was yesterday, and where it will be tomorrow!
DIY Olympic Torch Craft
What you’ll need:
- Paper towel roll
- Glue or gluestick
- Aluminum foil
- Tissue paper (red, yellow and orange)
What to do:
- Flatten one end of the paper towel roll and staple it together at the end.
- Glue aluminum foil around the outside of the paper towel roll.
- Tuck any remaining foil into the opening at the top of the paper towel roll.
- Lay out one sheet of tissue paper, then layer additional colors on top of that sheet, angling the sheets in different directions.
- Pinch the pile of tissue paper sheets in the center, and twist the center together.
- Place the tissue paper “flames” into the hole in the center of the paper towel roll.
Now you’re ready to carry the torch!
This Olympic torch craft idea was inspired by Icanteachmychild.com.
Other Olympic-themed Camp Little Victors activities: