Carrots have been used to sweeten cakes since medieval times. In this recipe, they reduce the need for a lot of added sugar while keeping all the delicious flavor you expect in a cupcake! Try this frosting recipe for a healthy and yummy alternative frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cups sugar, honey, agave or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 pound carrots, scrubbed and grated
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup lightly toasted, chopped pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts. Can be omitted.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in 12 cupcake or muffin tins.
- Blend the oil, sugar and eggs. Beat the mixture until everything is evenly blended.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fill each of the prepared muffin tins 2/3 of the way to the top.
- Bake for 22–25 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned and rounded. When they’re done, a toothpick inserted into the cupcake should come out clean.
- Let cool, remove from pan, and place a dollop of frosting on each cupcake.
Inspired by a recipe from Chop Chop Magazine.