Sophie Rose Barton was a young singer/songwriter and music volunteer for Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. She truly believed that she could help people and change the world with her music. Unfortunately, Sophie unexpectedly passed away at the age of 17.
Thanks to Sophie’s family, Mott Golf Classic and the Forever Young Foundation, Sophie’s legacy lives on through special music therapy programs being developed at children’s hospitals around the nation.
Sophie’s Place at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital will be a dedicated music therapy environment to promote creative expression, safety, and solace for patients and their families throughout the healing process.
Our goal through Sophie’s Place is to provide exemplary patient and family centered care through the use of music, to enhance the physical, emotional and psychological needs of each patient throughout their journey.
Sophie’s Place at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital will include a state-of-the-art recording studio and offer a number of expanded music therapy experiences to patients and families, including:
- opportunities for patients to record their music – and, if the patient chooses – to share their music with other patients and families
- opportunities for patients and caregivers interested in “behind the scenes” recording studio experiences, designed to give patients an inside look at music production and the use of recording equipment
- protected space for individual and group music therapy sessions in addition to the bedside music therapy sessions offered today
- specialized programming designed for mothers, fathers and siblings, to promote positive coping, normalization of environment and connecting with others on similar journeys
- much-needed programming designed to support families in grief and loss
- new programs geared to give staff unique opportunities to decompress from the stressful healthcare work environment
- space for celebrity performances, with capabilities for live-streaming performances through the hospital’s closed-circuit TV network for patients unable to leave their rooms
Most importantly, Sophie’s Place will allow for the music therapy team to triple the amount of music therapy services provided to patients and families.