Designed by families and health care professionals, the Wayne and Shelly Jones Family Center is a place for inpatients, outpatients and their families to learn, relax and become advocates for their health care.
Staff and volunteers provide information, education, support, and help to foster a cooperative relationship between a family and their health care team.
The Family Center offers:
- A comfortable environment where a family can take a break, relax, and ask questions or directions
- A consultation room for private conversations, prayer, breast feeding, or solitude
- Books, magazines, DVDs, games, cards and puzzles for adults, teens and children
- Educational materials, pamphlets and audio/visual recordings
- Internet access, printing, fax, phone charging
- Scheduled classes and tours
- Special events such as art workshops, science programs, storytelling, and music programs
- Sibling drop-off program
- Information about joining the Patient & Family Centered Care Volunteer Program
Weekly activities include:
- Flower therapy: select Wednesdays, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Community partner activities: Thursdays, hours vary
- Cupcake therapy: Fridays, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
Our sibling program creates a safe and supervised environment where siblings of patients can let out some energy and have fun! Each week includes play time in the Michigan Game Day Experience indoor playground or the courtyard (weather permitting), art and crafts, movies, and even a snack.
Siblings of Mott patients, as well as children of adult patients admitted in the children’s hospital and women’s hospital building are welcome.
Children must be at least 3 years old, potty trained and have a Mott Healthy Child Sticker. Parents must remain on-site at the Health System.
The sibling program is offered on weekend afternoons during the school year, and daily during the summer.
Off-site Excursions Offered through the Family Center
A number of convenient attractions are available just a short distance from the hospital. Ask a Family Center staff member for more information.
- The U-M Museum of Natural History offers free admission, is open every day, and has Michigan’s largest dinosaur display.
- The Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum offers free admission to Mott families. See a Family Center staff or volunteer for admission information.
- Nichols Arboretum is located just around the corner from Mott and offers beautiful walking trails.
- The Ann Arbor YMCA offers free day passes to Mott families.
- The Leslie Science Center offers outdoor educational experiences and is open every day.
- The Ann Arbor District Library offers free story-time and a variety of activities for kids of all ages.
Contact the Family Center
The center is open 7 days a week. Call 734-936-8253 for hours and additional information.