Nutritional counseling means that a registered dietitian helps you learn about a healthy eating plan. This plan and other suggestions fit your or your family's needs.
A healthy eating plan will consider:
- Height and weight. Growth trends over time give the most useful information.
- Family history and current conditions, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, or pregnancy.
- Level of physical activity or exercise.
- Appetite and food likes and dislikes.
- Lifestyle, culture, and how foods are prepared and offered.
- Locally available foods.
Current as of: May 9, 2022
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review:Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine & John Pope MD - Pediatrics & Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine & Rhonda O'Brien MS, RD, CDE - Certified Diabetes Educator & Heather Quinn MD - Family Medicine