Michigan Medicine’s Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment Center offers full spectrum of care for expecting mothers and babies. Once you know you are pregnant, we understand you want the best care possible. Our team has you covered from prenatal diagnosis, pregnancy care and birth through postnatal care and long-term follow up. You benefit from a labor and delivery unit with expertise for women carrying babies with known birth defects.
A comprehensive center under one roof focused on mom and baby
Michigan Medicine is among few centers nationwide in which Labor and Delivery is nestled within a comprehensive children’s hospital. Situated on the 9th floor of C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, the Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital allows for seamless integration between our private-room birth center, state-of-the-art newborn intensive care unit (NICU), and access to around-the-clock pediatric surgical services in one convenient location. This allows babies with complex needs to receive immediate care at birth while moms and family members remain close to their newborns. Early bonding is crucial for all families, and we maintain this constant focus for families during these meaningful times.
Within Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital you will find:
- Labor and delivery triage
- Private maternity rooms for labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum care
- Ultrasound unit
- Operating rooms for fetal procedures and cesarean deliveries
- Newborn evaluation, stabilization, and treatment (NEST). This specialty area allows for immediate newborn support and care as well as a seamless transition when a baby is being delivered with an anticipated (or unanticipated) need for the NICU.
Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CCU) are just a floor away. Our women and children’s hospitals are connected to the main hospital and Frankel Cardiovascular Center, where we may easily access our medical, surgical, and cardiac intensive care units should complex maternal conditions require ICU-level care.
Whether having in-utero fetal surgery or delivering a baby whom may need specialized newborn care, mom and baby may obtain expert care under the same roof.
Multidisciplinary approach to diagnosing and treating fetal conditions
Families from around the country come to Michigan Medicine seeking our expertise in not only prenatal diagnosis, but also fetal surgery and postnatal (after delivery) care. Through the expertise and family-centered care of our maternal fetal medicine team and genetic counselors, we offer state-of-the-art evaluation, testing, and counseling.
We are aware families often travel great distances to seek our expertise, and we work to coordinate single-day evaluations with our maternal fetal medicine and pediatric subspecialists. This aims to ensure that moms and babies receive the best and most collaborative care possible before, during, and after pregnancy and delivery.
Coordinated and collaborative care
Appointments at Michigan Medicine will include a visit with maternal fetal medicine and may also include visits with:
- fetal surgery, including maternal fetal medicine specialists and pediatric surgeons
- genetic counseling
- fetal radiology
- pediatric cardiology
- pediatric neurosurgery
- pediatric neurology
- pediatric urology
- obstetric anesthesiology
- palliative care
- social work
- bereavement coordinators
Our team meets weekly to discuss families with care at Michigan Medicine. Our multidisciplinary approach allows for a focused coordination of care to meet the medical and sociocultural needs of every patient and family. We aim to involve every specialist who may be involved in maternal and newborn care from the very beginning. Our goal is to build a close relationship with your family and support you through every step of your journey.
We work with families and their referring providers to assess every case individually and to coordinate care. Our transparent counseling and conversations focus not only on pregnancy, but also on the ideal timing and location of delivery. This includes whether a patient can safely deliver at her local hospital or if we recommend delivery at Michigan Medicine to allow for immediate newborn care and services our pediatric subspecialists provide. With this, we partner with your primary OB or maternal-fetal medicine specialist, regularly updating them, sharing results and recommendations, and communicating next steps to maintain focus on maternal and baby health and well-being.
What to expect
From your first visit to the Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment Center, we aim to:
- Help you best understand your baby's diagnosis and have a complete picture of what your baby's care will look like during and after the pregnancy.
- Provide you and your family with helpful tools to aid in your decision-making process, so you can make the best decisions for you and your baby.
- Answer all of your questions and provide resources for ongoing support as you gather information about your baby’s diagnosis.
- Work with insurance companies and other payers to ensure you and your baby have access to the best treatment options available.
- Support you emotionally as you navigate the medical system and new information you have been given.
Make an Appointment
If you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment with the Fetal Diagnosis & Treatment Center, please call 734-763-4264.