The University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital’s Colorectal Surgery Program offers advanced colorectal diagnosis, treatment and long term management of care for children with challenging colorectal disorders.
Our team specializes in delivering leading edge care for children with both routine and complex colorectal conditions, including, but not limited to:
- Imperforate anus / anorectal malformations
- Cloacal deformities and cloacal exstrophy
- Hirschsprung disease
- Rectal Prolapse
- Familial Polyposis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease, including Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Anal fissure / fistula-in-ano
- Bowel management for fecal incontinence and constipation
We provide a full range of treatment options for pediatric colorectal disorders, including but not limited to:
- Minimally invasive and open surgical correction of imperforate anus, Hirschsprung disease, and cloacal anomalies
- MRI guided surgery for imperforate anus, available only at one other children’s hospital in the world, for optimal positioning of the rectal canal
- Revision surgery for colorectal anomalies
- Rectal prolapse management
- Appendicostomy and cecostomy tube placement for bowel management
- Adult care for patients with a history of imperforate anus or Hirschsprung disease
Why choose us?
The care of children and young adults with colorectal disorders such as imperforate anus and Hirschsprung disease has become increasingly more advanced. Children with these complex congenital problems and their families confront challenges from birth into adulthood. In addition to requiring specialized surgical procedures, these children face nutritional challenges, increased infection risk and higher prevalence of anorectal incontinence.
Due to the unique set of problems these children encounter, they require a dedicated team with specialized expertise in order to achieve a high quality of life. Few medical professionals have the experience, expertise and interest in helping these children.
The C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital Colorectal Specialty Program offers advanced colorectal diagnostics, surgical care and post-operative management of children with these challenging problems. Each member of our faculty has a commitment to constantly incorporating new evidence based surgical and medical techniques and research discoveries.
Our patients benefit from the conscientious attention of some of the finest faculty, residents and medical students in the country.
Unlike many pediatric programs that treat just the disease, we provide lifelong support and follow-up care for families of children with colorectal disorders. We are committed to going beyond treatment and management of symptoms to supporting your child throughout childhood and even into adulthood as they deal with any medical, developmental and psychosocial challenges of living with colorectal issues. Our focus is on ensuring your child has the highest quality of life, starting with their first appointment with us, during treatment, and throughout their childhood to support ongoing activities of daily living.
Discover the Michigan Difference in pediatric colorectal surgical care.
For more information or to make an appointment, call 1-877-475-MOTT (1-877-475-6688).