The Comprehensive Pain Management Center at University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital helps children, adolescents and young adults deal with ongoing pain and get back to life. Your first appointment is a very important step towards helping you return to normal, health activities of daily living. The following information will help you prepare for your appointment and give you an idea of what to expect at your visit.
Before your appointment
When you decide to come to the Comprehensive Pain Management Center for treatment, or if your physician sends a referral for our clinic, our office will call you to schedule an appointment. Prior to your first appointment, you will be asked to complete a detailed questionnaire. Completing this questionnaire before the appointment helps guide the development of a comprehensive care plan.
Your first visit
You will meet with members of our interdisciplinary team at the first visit:
Your visit will include a comprehensive evaluation, including:
- Measurement of vitals such as height and weight
- Comprehensive interview covering history of the pain and related symptoms/functioning
- Physical examination with physician
- Physical examination with a physical therapist
- Discussion of possible diagnosis and treatment
- Creation of a plan with the healthcare team for follow-up
- Discussion of other possible testing or evaluation that may be required
Additional considerations for the first visit:
- Please bring water and a snack.
- You will be moving during your physical exam, so please wear comfortable clothing like t-shirt, shorts/athletic pants, tennis shoes.
- Please bring any actively used orthotics or braces.
- During the portion of your appointment in which we discuss your medical history, be prepared to spend a portion of the conversation with parents and a portion of the exam individually meeting with the physician and psychologist.
- Because of the comprehensive nature of the clinic, the initial evaluation will take 1.5-3 hours.
- Try to avoid using pain patches during the evaluation (please call for details).
After the first visit
- You will be contacted with results of any testing that was performed.
- Any referrals that were given will be made within two business days of the appointment.
- Your primary care physician (and other specialists you request) will be sent a full copy of the evaluation report from your visit at the Comprehensive Pain Clinic.
To learn more or make an appointment with the Pediatric Comprehensive Pain Management Center, call 734-936-4220.