The faculty and staff at the U-M Cystic Fibrosis Center are committed to supporting your family, both through access to resources in the community as well as through special U-M events designed just for our patients.
COVID-19 and Cystic Fibrosis
The CF Foundation and your CF care team at Mott strongly encourage people with CF and their family members be vaccinated against COVID-19 when they become eligible. The CF Foundation has provided great information on their website to address your questions about COVID-19 and about the vaccine.
As children return to school, parents can find more information about their options for schooling and how to protect and prepare their children, in the CF Foundation’s “Return to School” resource.
We also encourage you to bring your questions or concerns to your CF care team for discussion either by phone or at your next clinic visit.
Family Education Events
The Cystic Fibrosis Center is pleased to offer events to support families of our patients. Our annual education night and retreat draws families from throughout the State, and includes informative presentations as well as an opportunity to meet and interact with other CF families.
- 2021 Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Night videos
- 2020 Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Night videos
- 2019 Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Night videos
- 2018 Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Night video
- 2017 Cystic Fibrosis Family Education Night videos
U-M Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletters
The University of Michigan CF Center publishes an annual newsletter highlighting new programs, research, clinical care, and family oriented resources for our patients and all patients with CF.
- 2021 Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletter
- 2020 Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletter
- 2019 Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletter
- 2018 Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletter
- 2017 Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletter
- 2016 Cystic Fibrosis Center Newsletter
Family Advisory Board
The Family Advisory Board plays an important role in the CF Center. By incorporating the thoughts, perspectives and opinions of families into our decisions, we are able to enhance our ability to provide family-centered care.
Amongst many projects, we have constructed a new patient binder, with information that meets the educational needs of each developmental stage of CF.
Our families revised the heart healthy hospital menu to a high calorie, high fat menu that meets the needs of people with CF.
The council meets from September to June to discuss pending decisions, quality improvement initiatives and provides input from the family perspective. We are also regularly involved with processes and plans to improve the quality and accuracy of care provided.
Family members and adult patients of University of Michigan Health System CF Center are welcome to volunteer for the council. Our Board consists of members who have children recently diagnosed with CF, to parents of teens transitioning to the adult program and an adult with CF. Dr. Samya Nasr, CF Center Director, is on the Board and we regularly invite staff relevant to any project we are working on. Members serve approximately two-year terms and are recruited from a pool of applicants.
For more information on joining the Family Advisory Board at University of Michigan Health System, contact the CF Center Coordinator Donna Genyk at 734 764 4123.
- CF Foundation Compass - Information regarding choosing coverage, navigating insurance coverage, and finding support.
Newborn Screening Information
- Newborn Screening education for patients and families
- Information about CFTR-related Metabolic Syndrome (CRMS) and CFTR-related Disorder
- Genetic Carrier Testing for CF
- Information for parents of a baby who is a CF carrier
- Newborn Screening education for healthcare providers
Please email us if you would like more information about puberty and fertility from your physician. Social Work will coordinate addressing your questions with you/your child and your physician at your next clinic visit.
Patient Information Guides
- Cleaning respiratory equipment
- Aerobika® use
- Cycled huff cough instructions
- Acapella® Choice directions