Medical School or Training
University of Alabama School of Medicine, 1992
Clinical Psychology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1993
American Psychological Association (APA)
APA Division of Health Psychology (Division 38)
Society for Behavioral Medicine (SBM)
North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG)
Behavioral Researchers in Diabetes Group Exchange
American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- Integrating self-management support with technology to improve chronic illness self-management.
- Activating depressed patients’ social support networks to improve outcomes.
- Epidemiological investigation of factors affecting diabetes self-management.
- Explaining heterogeneity in depression treatment response.
- Developing and validating self-report instruments.
Dr. Aikens conducts research on primary care depression, focusing on self-care behavior, patients' views of their symptoms and treatment, and the effects of medical comorbidity. Dr. Aikens provides collaborative clinical services to U-M Family Medicine Center providers, such as psychological evaluation and brief interventions (psychotherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy) for depression, anxiety, and other common psychological issues in adult primary care patients.