Medical School or Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine & Public Health, 1999
Duke University Medical Center, Pediatrics, NC, 2002
Duke University Medical Center, Pediatrics, NC, 2003
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, University of Michigan Health System, 2006
American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
American Society of Hematology
Dr. Kitko’s research efforts utilize the bone marrow transplant program's large clinical outcomes database, linked with patient plasma samples, to measure protein and cellular markers at various time points post-transplantation. The goal of her project is to identify markers associated with chronic graft-versus-host disease to help improve the transplant community’s understanding of the pathophysiology of this disease. Discovery of these biomarkers may help improve early diagnosis and allow for individualized therapy for this major contributor to non-relapse mortality in long-term transplant survivors. Dr. Kitko is a national leader, serving as a member of the American Society of Hematology Communications Committee, Co-Chair of the Pediatric Cancer Committee for the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research and the Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network Committee for Special Populations Member.
- Martin PJ, Storer BE, Carpenter PA, Couriel DR, Flowers ME, Gupta V, Hsu JW, Jagasia M, Kitko CL, Maziarz RT, Rowley SD, Shaughnessy PJ, van Besien K, Weisdorf D, Lee SJ. Comparison of short-term response and long-term outcomes after initial systemic treatment of chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, 17:124-32, 2011.
- Kitko CL, White ES, Baird K. Fibrotic and sclerotic manifestations of chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, 18: S46-52, 2012.
- Veys P, Wynn RF, Ahn KW, Samarasinghe S, He W, Bonney D, Craddock J, Cornish J, Davies SM, Dvorak CC, Duerst RE, Gross TG, Kapoor N, Kitko C, Krance RA, Leung W, Lewis VA, Steward C, Wagner JE, Carpenter PA, Eapen M. Impact of immune modulation with in vivo T-cell depletion and myleoablative total body irradiation conditioning on outcome after unrelated donor transplantation for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood, 119: 6155-61, 2012.
- Hoodin F, Zhao L, Carey J, Levine JE, Kitko C. Impact of psychological screening on routine outpatient care of hematopoietic cell transplantation survivors. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 19(10):1493-7, 2013
- Kitko CL, Levine JE, Storer BE, Chai X, Fox DA, Braun TM, Couriel DR, Martin PJ, Flowers ME, Hansen JA, Chang L, Conlon M, Fiema BJ, Morgan R, Pongtornpipat P, Lamiman K, Ferrara JL, Lee SJ, Paczesny S. Plasma CXCL9 elevations correlate with chronic GVHD diagnosis. Blood. 123(5):786-93, 2014.
Dr. Kitko earned her medical degree from The Ohio State University in 1999. She completed her Pediatric residency at Duke University in 2002, and was selected as chief resident for 2002-2003. Following this, she came to the University of Michigan for fellowship in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, and joined the Blood and Marrow Transplant faculty in 2006. Dr. Kitko enjoys Big 10 football, reading a variety of genres, traveling and entertaining with food and wine.