Ann Arbor, Mich. — The University of Michigan’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital is among the best children’s hospitals in the country in pediatric specialty care and is the only hospital in Michigan ranked in all 10 specialties evaluated, according to the U.S. News & World Report’s 2014-15 Best Children’s Hospitals rankings.
The new rankings recognize the top 50 children’s hospitals in each of those 10 pediatric specialties. Only 89 hospitals nationwide were ranked in at least one specialty.
C.S. Mott is nationally ranked in all 10 of the evaluated categories including cardiology and heart surgery, neurology and neurosurgery, nephrology, orthopedics, gastroenterology and GI surgery, cancer, diabetes and endocrinology, neonatology, pulmonology and urology. C.S. Mott has been named among the nation’s best in these rankings since they were introduced in 2007.
“We’re very proud to once again receive great rankings from U.S. News & World Report for the tremendous care we provide to our patients and families at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital,” says Paul King, executive director of C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital.
“It’s wonderful to receive recognition for our efforts and to be placed year after year among the nation’s best.”
U.S. News introduced the Best Children’s Hospitals rankings in 2007 to help families of sick children find the best medical care available. The rankings offer quality-related information at the individual hospital level.
“We strive daily to provide the best patient care experience possible at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. Being recognized yet again as a comprehensive children’s hospital in all of these important disciplines is very meaningful and a source of pride for all of our caregivers and staff,” says Valerie Castle, M.D., Ravitz professor and chair of the Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases and a pediatric oncologist.
C.S. Mott’s highest ranking was in cardiology and heart surgery, where it is was ranked as one of the top 10 in the nation.
C.S. Mott’s Congenital Heart Center is an international referral center for children with complex congenital heart problems and is one of the largest congenital heart programs in the United States.
“In all of our programs, our staff provides tremendous care. It’s very gratifying to have U.S. News and World Report recognize our overall excellence by ranking us in all of the 10 categories evaluated,” says John Park, M.D., surgeon-in-chief for C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and the Cheng Yang Chang professor of pediatric urology.
“We remain committed to pushing the envelope in innovative interdisciplinary care, using treatments at the forefront of medicine and working toward groundbreaking research and education.”
According to U.S. News and World Report, 83% of each hospital’s score relied on patient outcomes and the care-related resources each hospital makes available. To gather clinical data, U.S. News sent a clinical questionnaire to 183 pediatric hospitals. The remaining 17% of the score derived from a survey of 450 pediatric specialists and subspecialists in each specialty over three years. The 4,500 physicians were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty, setting aside location and expense.
“Every Best Children’s Hospital deserves high praise,” said U.S. News Health Rankings Editor Avery Comarow. “We know how important it is to parents to have confidence in pediatric centers that show dedication and expertise in caring for a child facing a life-threatening, rare or demanding illness.”
Survival rates, adequacy of nurse staffing, procedure volume and much more can be viewed on http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/pediatric-rankings and will be published in the U.S. News “Best Hospitals 2015” guidebook, which will be available in August.
C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital also was ranked eighth in the nation by Parents Magazine in 2013 in its 10 Best Children’s Hospitals list. C.S. Mott was the only Michigan hospital in the top 10.
About U-M C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital: C.S. Mott moved to a new home in December 2011. The $754 million hospital features a 1.1 million square foot, 348-bed facility that is home to C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, the Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital, and adult and pediatric blood and marrow transplant programs. The new hospital features a 12-story inpatient tower and nine-story clinic tower, a dedicated pediatric emergency department, an on-site Ronald McDonald House, and private rooms. The hospital also offers a new and larger home for specialty services not offered anywhere else in Michigan for newborns, children and pregnant women.
To learn more about C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, visit www.mottchildren.org