The pediatric specialists in the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital emergency department are available 24 hours a day to care for children with medical problems that cannot wait to be seen by their regular doctor. We know that it can be stressful to have a sick child and we do everything we can to help families and their children during their emergency department visit.
Our children’s emergency department team provides unscheduled urgent care, ranging from common minor pediatric problems to major medical and traumatic emergencies. Each of the nurses in the pediatric emergency department is a specially trained in emergency nursing care for children.
We care for approximately 20,000 children a year, and are proud to be both a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center and a national center for Pediatric Emergency Medicine Research.
Being designated a Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center means the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma certifies our ability to provide the best care for the most severely injured children 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Comprehensive pediatric emergency care and prompt minor care for medical illness and injury
- Full emergency department team of pediatric emergency physicians and nurses trained specifically in pediatric emergency care
- Access to University of Michigan pediatric specialists
- Treating urgent complications of chronic diseases
- A facility that is separate from Adult Emergency Services and designed exclusively for pediatric patients
- Prompt availability from specialties such as orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, emergency medicine and radiology
- Access to a full range of diagnostic services, with on-site pediatric radiology and the capability to provide conscious sedation for potentially painful procedures
- Dedicated child life specialists who work with children and families to make the ED experience as pleasant as possible for children and their families