Pediatric Otolaryngology and Audiology at University of Michigan
The best treatment for ear, nose and throat (ENT) care for children often involves multiple types of specialists, working together in close collaboration. At C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, our pediatric otolaryngology team is led by surgeons with many years of experience, seamlessly working together with pulmonology, audiology, speech-language pathology, and your family to achieve optimum results for your child.
The U-M team cares for a full range of conditions affecting the ears, nose, throat, and related parts of the head and neck, including:
- Ear Infection (otitis media)
- Cholesteatoma (skin cyst in middle ear)
- Perforated eardrum
- Enlarged or infected adenoids
- Nasal obstruction
- Nasal mass
- Sinusitis (Sinus Infection)
- Nosebleeds (Epistaxis)
- Choanal atresia or stenosis
- Enlarged or infected tonsils
- Sleep apnea and obstructive sleep disorders
- Vocal disorders
- Swallowing problems
Voice and speech problems
- Velopharyngeal incompetence or insufficiency
- Hypernasal or hyponasal speech
- Speech delay
- Enlarged or diseased lymph nodes in the neck
- Salivary gland mass
- Thyroid tumor or mass
- Vascular anomalies such as hemangioma or lymphangioma
- Other tumors, growths or cancers of the head and neck
- Congenital cysts, fistulas, or lesions
- Vocal cord paralysis
- Masses that narrow the airway like recurrent respiratory papilloma, or airway hemangiomas Laryngotracheal stenosis
- Foreign body in throat
We are also actively involved in Mott Children’s Hospital multidisciplinary clinics for vascular anomalies, aerodigestive disorders, and sleep disorders.
As a specialty group dedicated to the care of children, our doctors and nurses understand the special needs of children and do their best to minimize pain, discomfort and anxiety. Having a comprehensive pediatric otolaryngology group within a team-focused hospital means that in addition to handling any otolaryngology problem, we collaborate and coordinate care with pediatric specialists from other disciplines to decrease the need for multiple appointments.
We offer a full spectrum of therapies and procedures, including airway reconstruction, laser surgery to remove tumors, tracheotomy, ear tube insertion, sinus surgery, cochlear implants and bone conduction implants. For endoscopic sinus or skull-base surgery, we have the latest image-guided systems for precise positioning and localization of the area of concern. Our Division of Electrophysiology is one of the most comprehensive in the US, with expertise in monitoring important nerves, such as the facial nerve during ear surgeries or the recurrent laryngeal nerve during thyroid surgery.
Take the next step
Through groundbreaking innovation and unparalleled patient care, the otolaryngology team at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital provides world class care for children with conditions affecting the ears, nose and throat. We look forward to the opportunity to be a part of your family’s care team.
Schedule an appointment online or by calling us at 734-936-5730